Monday, August 24, 2009

Baking Day

So I've stolen the idea of a Baking Day from Money Saving Mom, a blog I follow. She shares a lot of excellent recipes, some which are from Tammy's Recipes. I've mainly bookmarked the recipes from MSM and haven't searched Tammy's site on my own, but everything looks delicous, simple and affordable.
Anyways, the idea of a Baking Day is baking lots of goods you'll use throughout the week for meals. Muffins, waffles, bread, pita bread, etc. She freezes some to use at the end of the week or in future weeks. I like the idea. I don't really have a "baking day;" I tend to do it on an as need basis. Right now I bake bread when we're out, make waffles for breakfast one morning and double the batch to freeze the leftovers, make muffins while Lilers is napping, etc. We don't have a lot of leftover freezer space to freeze weekly things. It's currently full of veggies, fruit, homemade chicken stock, and freezer jam, plus meat. Maybe someday we'll get a small extra freezer, but until then, I do mini-bake days all the time. I make muffins and waffles to stretch out our cold cereal or when we don't have any on hand since there haven't been any decent sales. Soooo, in the spirit of baking day:

Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
(Not in the least bit healthy, but Michael loves them)

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking pwdr
1 1/3 c. mashed ripe bananas
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 egg
1 c. chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine bananas, oil, and egg. Sit into dry ingredients until just moistened. (Over-stir and they won't rise) Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 20-25 min. Makes about 1 dozen.

Possible variations: I add 1/2c. whole wheat flour and 1 c. all-purpose to make it a lil healthier, and no one's the wiser. I don't add a 1 c. chocolate chips; more like 1/3- 1/2 c., if I even add them at all. Could possibly substitute applesauce for vegetable oil-- haven't tried it, but next time I have some applesauce on hand, I plan on trying it out.

Recipe is from Hilary Grant in the Frisco 1 ward cookbook.

No comments: