Wednesday, October 28, 2009

YUMMMMMMMMY!

First of all, thanks so much to Danielle who has been on a creative tear lately! I have enjoyed so much reading about all your creative pursuits. We haven't done much on the creative side lately, but I did want to share a recipe that we really liked and that would be great for fall. It's Butternut Squash-Leek soup. I have to warn you, it looks awful when you serve it, but it is DELISH. Matt even liked it, which really surprised me. Enjoy! Happy fall!!!


INGREDIENTS
• 1 whole garlic, head• 4 tsp olive oil• 6 cup(s) leek(s), thinly sliced• 4 cup(s) butternut squash, cubed and peeled• 2 cup(s) chicken broth, low sodium• 1/2 tsp salt• 1/2 tsp pepper

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350. Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or seperate cloves). Wrap head in foil. Bakeat 350 fro 1 hour, cool 10 minutes. Seperate cloves, squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek, saute 5 minutesor until tender. Stir in garlic, squash, 2 cups water, broth, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil.3. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until squash is tender. Place half of squashmixture in blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over the opening of the blender. Blend and serve in bowls.

By the way, I got this recipe from www.youvegotsupper.com. They send you five dinner recipes with side dish suggestions every week. It's been kind of fun to try some of them out.

1 comment:

Dani said...

We made this for dinner tonight and it was yummy! At first I thought it was a little funny colored, but then I mixed it all together and it looked great. I don't know if I had all 6 c. leeks... I just chopped up all the ones I had. Maybe that made the difference.
Delicious!